Job Title: Director Development
Open Date: May 14, 2010
Position: Full-Time, Exempt
Work Site: Silver Spring, MD
The Director of Development serves a critical role in increasing resource development and developing relationships with donors.Â This senior management position designs, implements, monitors and evaluates a comprehensive fundraising program for the NMA. This position takes full responsibility for developing and implementing a business plan to reach key goals of resource development.
Direct all activities of the Development Department, including Annual campaign, Capital Campaign, Corporations and Foundations, Special Project Fundraising and Government Support.
- Develops strategy for each donor. Maintain regular personal contact with donors through telephone, personal visits, notes and e-mail in order to enhance and build relationships.
- Develops and manages short- and near-term strategies critical to the NMAâ€™s success.Â Decisions involve complex and contradictory alternatives requiring organizational support.
- Evaluate the propensity of donors to give, and the best fundraising approach to facilitate a gift that will maximize income to NMA and benefit the donor.Â Solicit donors for annual, special and planned gifts depending on the donorâ€™s situation and a solicitation cycle that is tailored to their convenience and preferences.
- Monitors income and expenses relating to donors. Analyze program performance on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Maintain working knowledge of all NMAâ€™s campaigns. Join campaign and issue-related working groups.
- Identify giving opportunities from corporations, foundations and individuals; develop campaign materials, letters and proposals.
QUALIFICATIONS: Masterâ€™s degree or equivalent 7+ years experience in resource development and fundraising activities in non-profit and healthcare sectors. Must have progressive development experience with special events, planned giving, individual, corporate, foundation solicitation, direct marketing, and major gift fundraising activities. Ability to demonstrate excellence in interpersonal relations skills to work effectively with staff, affiliate clients, and leaders. Ability to demonstrate successful project management, Ability to work collaboratively toward organizational goals, ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a team environment, ability to use personal computers in accomplishing work. .
Requires exceptional written and oral communications skills, ability to prioritize and manage multiple concurrent assignments; strong internal and external customer service orientation; strong strategic and problem solving abilities; proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Internet applications; excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work independently.Â Some travel required.
NMA provides salary commensurate with experience. Please send cover letter with salary requirement and resume to Human Resources Director, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org EOE.